Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Nothing to Be Frightened of -- New Book by Barnes

‘I don’t believe in God, but I miss him.’ Julian Barnes’ new book is, among many things, a family memoir, an exchange with his brother (a philosopher), a meditation on mortality and the fear of death, a celebration of art, an argument with and about God, and a homage to the French writer Jules Renard. Though he warns us that ‘this is not my autobiography’, the result is like a tour of the mind of one of our most brilliant writers.

When Angela Carter reviewed Barnes’s first novel, Metroland, she praised the mature way he wrote about death. Now, nearly thirty years later, he returns to the subject in a wise , funny and constantly surprising book, which defies category and classification – except as Barnesian.

Publication date: March 2008 • 256 pages • Demy Octavo • EAN: 9780224085236

Order a copy online via Random House, Amazon.co.uk or one of a number of local independent booksellers.

2 Comments:

At 02 April, 2008 00:55, Blogger annie mole said...

I was lucky enough to be at Julian's reading at the RSA yesterday, supported by Blackwells

I've written a post on my London Underground Blog where Mr Barnes very kindly humoured me with the dedication "Our Lady of The Tube"

 
At 17 May, 2008 23:15, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I lost my Mother recently and for some strange reason this book has given comfort. One day we are what we are and our stuff is our stuff - the next day we are no more than the stuff...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home