Tuesday, July 01, 2008

San Clemente Literary Prize

From Xesús Fraga, Barnes's Galician translator:

Julian Barnes has been awarded the Arcebispo San Clemente literary prize in the category of foreign fiction for Arthur & George. The prize is given by a jury formed by students from five secondary schools of Galicia, in the Northwest of Spain, who choose the best novel they've read in the last year in three categories: written in Galician, in Spanish and any foreign language. Arthur & George received six votes, while the other shortlisted novels, Terrorist, by John Updike, and Italian Shoes, by Henning Mankell, received one and three votes.

Previous winners of the San Clemente prize have been Paul Auster, Javier Marías, Mario Vargas Llosa, Alessandro Baricco, Jonathan Coe, José Saramago, Antonio Tabucci, Carlos Fuentes and Manuel Rivas, among other writers. All of them visited Santiago de Compostela to receive their prize. The next ceremony will probably be held in March and last year's winner, Haruki Murakami, will also attend.

1 Comments:

At 09 November, 2008 16:18, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry Chaps



I will not be able to make the book club this month. I am genuinely annoyed, as I really enjoyed this book.



Bernard,



I will be looking after the kids that night, but as I am only two doors away, you could come and pick up £10 in cash on the way in or out. Alternatively I can post you the cheque. I may get lucky and make the tail end of the evening, but I would miss everything. For that reason I have decided to briefly put my view forward now.





As usual Sally and David seem to choose winners. I loved the characterization, the way w sung form one main character to the other. I thought their personalities were clearly distinct. I loved the surprise of finding out that George was not a straightforward “Englishman”. I did not see that coming. Many times I hoped George was guilty, to have a twist, but that was clearly not the point. I loved how for once George rejected racism, but Doyle went full thrust for it. The truth was clearly in between, and each of them was naïve in their own way. I loved how Doyle and Wilson (?) clearly reflected Holmes and Watson. It was obvious Touie knew about Jennie, but in this respect Doyle was naïve. To me Anson was the villain, in so far as he allowed his own views to colour the course of the investigation (no pun intended). I loved finding out about Doyle, his background and how Holmes was created. I did find the séance thing, especially at the end silly. But they were clearly his beliefs. It was actually George’s character that was intriguing, and I suspect that those brothers did do it. But as George pointed out the whole manner of that conclusion was too much like that against him, and clearly read like a spectacular Holmes novel.



I think Julian Barnes did a great job, and technically could not be faulted. In all, unputdownable.



My final comment: 10/10



Regards

Roop Dhillon







Dear Julian,

I am an author myself, although I primarily write in Punjabi.

I really enjoyed your book

 

Post a Comment

<< Home